Hardwood is luxurious, tile is easy to clean, and vinyl is affordable, but if you’re looking for a warm and cozy floor covering, there is one clear and incontestable victor: carpeting. Soft, versatile, and comfortable, carpet is one of the most popular flooring choices around, and with good reason! On a cold winter’s day, who wouldn’t prefer sinking their toes into plush carpeting instead of padding across chilly hardwood? And if you want to muffle the noises made by your crazy kids and pets, carpet is your best flooring choice. But of course, carpet has its flaws as well. It can easily be stained if you don’t tackle spills immediately, and it isn’t suitable for every room in your house. If you’re trying to decide whether or not carpet is right for your home, do yourself a favor and check out the pros and cons of carpet flooring that we’ve listed below.
The Pros and Cons of Carpet Flooring
- First, the obvious: carpet is oh so comfortable! It’s plush, warm, and padded. You can happily walk barefoot on it (even in the cold winter months), and your pets will love curling up on it for naps. Finally, if you have small children, carpet is good for padding falls and tumbles.
- Regular maintenance is simple: vacuuming! As long as you have an efficient vacuum, you have nothing to worry about. Additionally, many carpets these days are covered in a stain-resistant treatment, which will help you clean up spills before they pass below the surface.
- Carpet can act as an additional layer of insulation. In the winter, it blocks icy chills and drafts so your home stays warmer, and in the summer, it protects against outside heat so your home stays cooler. This can help you stay comfortable throughout the harsher seasons and save money on your utility bills.
- Carpet minimizes sound, so if you’re constantly frustrated by clattering fleet or loud TVs, carpet will help lower the volume.
- With a wide range of styles, costs, and colors to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect carpet for your home. Plus, depending on the style you choose, carpet can do a good job of hiding dirt and debris, so you won’t have to clean as often.
- Stain guard treatments are helpful, but they aren’t magic. You will still need to catch and clean up spills quickly, or you’ll risk deeper and more damaging stains.
- Carpet doesn’t work well in every room of the house. In places where moisture is often present, like kitchens and bathrooms, carpet is prone to stains, mildew, and mold. Also, if your home has the misfortune of confronting a flood or a major leak, you may need to completely throw out your carpet due to dangerous mold and mildew.
- If you have pets that sometimes pee in the house, you’ll have a much harder time cleaning carpet than you would cleaning tile, vinyl, or hardwood, especially if you don’t find and clean the accident right away. Carpet is also more likely to become smelly after repeat accidents.
- Carpets typically last about 10-15 years, so they aren’t as long-lasting as other flooring choices, like a quality hardwood or tile.
– – – – –
After pondering the pros and cons of carpet flooring, if you decide that you do wish to purchase carpet, we urge you to check out the selection offered at Curran Design Center, a small, family-owned and -operated business located in Nixa, Missouri. With brands like Bliss and Shaw, which carry almost unlimited colors and textures, you can be sure that you’ll find the right carpet to suit your style, home, and budget. To learn more about our carpet offerings, please give us a call at 417-724-1018 or click here for a free consultation.